Thursday, May 12

Becker-Posner Blog

I'll spare you the details on why I think the blog by econ prof/nobelist Gary Becker and Judge/law prof Richard Posner is required reading. Instead the short answer. For starters, don't let the law and economics discussions distract you. In my opinion, one need not care about such things to enjoy their writing. If you enjoy keen insight, then I think you're set; this is a blog worth reading.

Based on my observation, the key to smarts is insight and if you don't believe me, Becker and Posner will convince you. What I mean by insight is an ability to draw a clear, and even obvious, distinction from something that is previously unclear. Case in point is a post by Gary Becker on plagiarism. The following appears in the opening paragraph:
Plagiarism is the reverse of counterfeiting activities. Plagiarists try to take credit for the work of others, while counterfeiters credit others for their own work.
It may not be an important point, but it is a clever insight nonetheless. Link

Update: I've been corrected. The blog is NOT sufficiently insightful to compensate for its droll econ and law bla bla. I agree. Despite its immense insightfulness, you do need at least a modicum of interest in econ and law to enjoy it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Euge said...

An irrelevant comment: I once emailed Becker for an unpublished paper on organ donation. He replied that he was out of the country but would have his secretary in Chicago send it to me. She then cc'd me in her exchange with Becker trying to find paper. Finally, Becker, cc'ing his replies to her, kept me abreast and finally let me know it was located and sent. I know from experience that there aren't many scholars of his distinction who'd both+er making this much of an effort for a total stranger.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home