Wednesday, December 14

It is about being humane

What is our society teaching our children by sanctioning the death penalty? More pragmatically, has anyone quantified the net benefit of this policy? Its a consequence of politician's "getting tough on crime," but, to my knowledge, there doesn't exist a sound, broadly accepted study demonstrating empirically that 'toughness' in this context (that is killing bad guys) deters violent crime. See, eg, "Facts about Deterrence and the Death Penalty" compiled by the Death Penalty Information Center.

Xeni Jardin points me to a letter by Serbian writer and filmmaker Jasmina Tesanovic. She doesn't answer or address the above questions, but articulates a basic point worth repeating: the death penalty is barbaric. Excerpt from letter:
This Tookie, this black Californian, I don't care if he is guilty or not, I say when interviewed by a TV, as if my opinion mattered: the death penalty is barbarism and a crime against humanity, like torture.

How do you feel? the reporter asks me with tender feelings. What does that matter, I scream, it is not about feelings, it is about human rights. In point of fact I feel awful. ...

It is a sad evening to wait for a person to be publicly and legally executed, and then go to bed thinking that we have done all we could. Life stinks. How do executioners feel? The decision makers, how do they feel? Why don't TV reporters demand to know their feelings? In any case, whatever we said and did will not be broadcast. Some of our photos with candles will be published, with captions saying stuff we didn't say and didn't mean. I don't believe in God or pure spirituality, I held a candle to make a difference in the dark. It didn't make much difference, that candle. It barely warmed my hands.
Link

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, I just wanted to give a greeting and tell you I like your blog.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home