Monday, December 19

Weekend at Burnie's

I spent a nice weekend with my parents in Ann Arbor. First, Euge and I went to the UM vs. UCLA basketball game. This was a big game, Michigan's first test this season against a good team and on national TV. They lost. Euge and I had fun, though. We sat just several rows above (Sec. 16, row 16) where our old season tickets used to be (Sec. 16, row 11).

Second, we went to see the movie Paradise Now at the Michigan Theatre. It was one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen. I recommend it to any and everyone with an interest in the middle east and/or Israel/Palestine in particular. If the final scene doesn't blow you away (figuratively, that is), then I don't know what will.

Third, my parents and I dined at Yotsuba Saturday night. They have amazing sushi! Mom picked up the tab. Nice.

Fourth, I read Ehrenreich's book Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America. On the plus side, it is an interesting and thought provoking read. I learned a lot (I didn't already know from personal experience) about low-wage work. On the down side, however, it is hard to read the final chapter, where she offers her economic insight and proposed solutions.

Fifth, for the ride to and from Ann Arbor, I checked out from the Skokie Library an excellent "book on tape," titled Positively Fifth Street, by James McManus. If you like the writing style and insights of Michael Lewis' Moneyball, then you'll definitely enjoy this book.

All this, and I returned to Skokie on Sunday just in time to join Steph and the boys in sledding down Mt. Trashmore (ie, the former landfill in Evanston) and igniting a Volcano contraption (a la Brady Bunch) that Kath got the boys. Guess who got stuck cleaning up the Volcano mess?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home