Monday, April 11

Man Date

There is a funny article in yesterday's NYT that talks about socializing between straight guys, or as the term is coined in the article the "man date."
Simply defined a man date is two heterosexual men socializing without the crutch of business or sports. It is two guys meeting for the kind of outing a straight man might reasonably arrange with a woman. Dining together across a table without the aid of a television is a man date; eating at a bar is not. Taking a walk in the park together is a man date; going for a jog is not.
The article is entertaining in a Sienfeld sort of way, but its a tad deregatory towards men.
The concern about being perceived as gay is one of the major complications of socializing one on one, many straight men acknowledge.
Many straight men? Really? My hunch: thats bullshit. I certainly don't limit my socializing with guys b/c I'm concerned about perception, and I'm far from the pillar of enlightened maleness. The sad truth is I just don't have that many guy friends. And a related fact is that I don't have time to go on such outings. But were I to find the time (and make some friends, of course) I'd still rather go out with a hot chick, like Steph. Link

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...not that there is anything wrong with that.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home