Monday, August 22

Cindy Sheehan

I was in the Lowe's parking lot this weekend. We went to town on the garden surrounding our house. The garden looks nice, but that is another story. Anyway, a group of three ladies in the parking lot were giving me the thumbs up upon my arrival to the gardening center. I smiled and fended them off, thinking to myself "thanks, ladies. But I'm already married." I finish up at Lowe's and head back to the minivan and notice that Steph has put up an anti-war sign on the car (a quote from Cindy Sheehan) and she's added a bumper sticker that reads "Peace is a moral value" or something like that. I realized at that point, it was not my male pattern baldness that the ladies were admiring. Anyway, I am glad Steph added these public displays. And I am glad she attended (by herself) the candlelight vigil in Evanston showing support for Sheehan last Weds.

Finally, I read this morning that John Edwards, prompted by his wife, is finally speaking out against the Iraq war. Here is an excerpt of the statement from Elizabeth Edwards:
"The president says he knows enough, doesn't need to hear from Casey's mother, doesn't need to assure her that Casey's is not one small death in a long and seemingly never-ending drip of deaths, that there is a plan here that will bring our sons and daughters home," Elizabeth Edwards wrote in her e-mail last week. "He claims he understands how some people feel about the deaths in Iraq. The president is wrong."
Link I may not completely understand the purpose or objective of Sheehan's protest, but I think what she is doing (in general) is great and the effect she is having on people is long overdue.

Addendum: Ari Fleischer tells us why W. will not meet with Ms. Sheehan for a second time:
"If you allow those who are the most vocal and most antagonistic to get a meeting with the president for fear that publicity will hurt you if you don't, you're creating incentives for your critics to become even more antagonistic and more vocal," Fleischer said. "Then, you're forever stuck in: Will you or won't you meet? You'll no longer lead. You'll just wrestle with meetings."

So is that what he's doing? I think I'd rather he be in meetings instead. Link

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that you are against this senseless war. My new favorite question to ask my colleaueges that are proponents of this bloodshed is " For what noble cause?" I think that W. won't meet with Cindy Sheehan because the truth hurts and he doesn't have a good answer for her!
If there is a noble cause and W. really believes in it then why doesn't he send his daughters to fight?
It's also really sad that now some of the Neo-Cons are speaking out against the war louder than the liberals. Did you hear Chuck Hagel's comments on "This Week" on ABC?
Maybe it's time to go back to the churches and other faith-based organizations that supposedly sent W. a mandate and gave W. his political capital and ask them... For what noble cause?

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What struck me the at the vigil, other than the sheer number of supporters (I've heard estimates of over 1,000 in Evanston alone), was the camaraderie and happy-go-lucky spirit of the people. It was as if people forgot the purpose behind the vigil: it was not primarily an anti-war protest as it was a gathering to show support for Ms. Sheehan. Even during the moment of silence, one could hear laughter and chatting going on. It was very hard for me not to cry, thinking about Ms. Sheehan, who lost her son. She will never hear her son's voice, never hear his laugh, never hold his hand, never hold him in her arms. I don't know if I could do what she has done/is doing if I lost my child. Kudos to her for being a very brave human being. It makes me sad to think of all those who are giving their lives for this senseless, criminal act of war.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home